- Prince Harry broke royal tradition by closing his own car door on Tuesday, a year after Meghan Markle was celebrated for doing the same thing.
- However, royal experts are divided over whether Harry and Markle should be praised for doing something considered typical for most people.
- Some commentators pointed out the pair weren’t the first to close their own doors, as Kate Middleton and even the Queen have done so in the past.
- Nonetheless, royal etiquette expert William Hanson told the Mail Online the royals typically do have someone close their doors for security purposes.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Even though his chauffeur tried to shut the door for him — as shown in the photo above — Prince Harry persisted and closed it himself as he arrived to the fifth anniversary of the Invictus Games on Tuesday.
The Duchess of Sussex was celebrated by The Sun’s royal correspondent Emily Andrews for closing her own door as she arrived at an engagement back in September 2018.
— Emily Andrews (@byEmilyAndrews) September 25, 2018
It’s typical for royals to have their door closed for them by a chauffeur or member of staff. For instance, at Markle’s clothing line launch on Thursday — a year after she broke tradition — a video of the duchess arriving shows the chauffeur closing the door for her.
— Katie Nicholl (@katienicholl) September 12, 2019
Nonetheless, royal experts and fans have been left divided over whether closing a car door actually constitutes a break in tradition.
ITV Royal Editor Chris Ship shared a video of Kate Middleton closing her car door, writing: “Turns out a royal person has shut a car door before.
Turns out a royal person has shut a car door before.
And I presume when they drive themselves (think Queen at Balmoral) she doesn’t walk away from the car and leave the door open for someone else to shut… 🚗 🚗 https://t.co/6hNPPpCksm
— Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) September 26, 2018
“And I presume when they drive themselves (think the Queen at Balmoral) she doesn’t walk away from the car and leave the door open for someone else to shut…”
Surely enough, another fan shared a photo of the Queen shutting her own door.
Kate, Diana, THE QUEEN, Harry and other royals have all closed their car door before. Stop spreading lies pic.twitter.com/acLTo0hlNQ
— 👑Meghan👑 (@Sussex__Archive) September 12, 2019
However, royal etiquette expert William Hanson told the Mail Online that the royal family do, in fact, usually have a member of staff close the door for them.
“That comes from a security point of view, mainly, not just perpetuating airs and graces,” he said.
He added that Markle closing her own door last year showed “she is going to be doing things her own way.”