- This year was filled with memorable sports moments, from jaw-dropping dunks to goosebumps-inducing buzzer-beaters.
- Our list includes the best action from the World Cup, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, college sports, and plenty more.
- Though he doesn’t own the top play, it’s hard to argue that anybody else produced more highlights this year than LeBron James.
- Our top play was the buzziest play of 2018.
With 2018 coming to a close, we compiled the best plays in sports we saw this year and arranged them in a completely subjective order.
On the list you’ll find feats of athleticism from jaw-dropping jumps to clever maneuvers. Of course, the stakes of the play, the athlete, and the situation all got taken into account. A game-winner in the playoffs is cooler than a great pass — it just is.
Additionally, star power played a part. When LeBron James hits a game-winner or dunks on somebody, it simply means more than if the 8th man on the team does so. And — spoiler alert — James had a highlight-filled year.
Our top 40 plays of 2018 include action from the World Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, NHL playoffs, NBA season and more.
Check out the best plays of 2018 below.
40. Tiger Woods eagles from 95 yards out at the Memorial Tournament
One thing to know: Was there anyone more watched or more rooted-for in 2018? Fresh off some encouraging rounds at The Players Championship and Masters, Woods continued to round into shape, sending the crowd into a frenzy with this shot.
39. LeBron James fools the entire Lakers defense
One thing to know: James was on cruise control for half of the 2017-18 season, but in the latter part of the year, he turned it on, seemingly creating jaw-dropping highlights each night. This one was pretty, understated, and another example that he controls all parts of the game.
38. Ping pong player practices perfect paddle defense
One thing to know: According to Deadspin, this is 15-year-old Chris Chen at the Trondheim Table Tennis Club going with a last-ditch defense and coming up with the point. We’re not sure he could do this again if he tried — then again, maybe he has!